Clearly this is worth a “long form” blog post where people can leave comments (and I can update the post if and when I get an answer).
By “I,” I really mean “we all” need encrypted SMS.
I need a method of exchanging OTR messages by SMS between Android and iOS devices. I can’t find one. Help?
Update, May 2014: Here’s an article which explains the options (which still don’t satisfy my requirement for SMS transport; I forgot why I had that requirement though). Fighting DISHFIRE: The State of Mobile, Cross-Platform, Encrypted Messaging
- SMS transport is absolutely required. I will be happy if I can also send messages via the intertubes, but the app(s) must support SMS.
- OTR 3.1+ support for “socialist millionaire” authentication would be really nice.
- Google Voice support (or avoidance) would be nice, but I can live without it.
- By this, I mean it’d be nice if I could use my Google Voice number instead of the device’s native number, and have it work gracefully (or at all).
- It really, really, truly needs to run on Android and iOS.
I’ll update the post with lots of details if and when I complete my quest for encrypted SMS between Android and iOS.
- Open Whisper Systems TextSecure – Android only, but coming to iOS “real soon now” (as of May 2014, allegedly this summer)
Heml.is – currently vaporware
- As of May 2014, please see this article.